Saturday, January 24, 2009

Fresh Corn Chowder

My mother, with whom I've just recently re-established a relationship, was a chef in previous work experience. She's now a hospice nurse and is caring for people during the last stage of their lives. I sent her The China Study to read; as I've said, it's a book you want to share with family and friends. She found it a very compelling read. As a result, we've recently discussed my choice to become vegetarian and eventually vegan. On Thursday, I received two new cookbooks from her in the mail:

The Enchanted Broccoli Forest, by Mollie Katzen
Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home

I haven't tried anything from the Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home yet, but a thorough flip through this thick, well laid-out cookbook yielded a whole new host of yummy, easy to prepare veggie recipes.

The recipe I tried today came from The Enchanted Broccoli Forest. Fresh Corn Chowder jumped out at me from the first few pages of this lovely book, and although corn is not in season I decided to give it a shot. It is a hearty, flavorful soup that is very filling; I added some garlic naan on the side as an accompaniment. I am looking forward to trying it with fresh corn and herbs in season.

1 medium-sized potato
2-1/2 c water

2 to 3 Tbsp vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
1-1/2 c onion, chopped
1-1/2 tsp salt
1 medium stalk celery, minced
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
About 5 cups corn (5 fresh cobs, or a 1 lb bag of frozen corn defrosted)
Fresh black pepper to taste
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 cup plain soymilk, at room temperature

Scrub or peel the potato, and cut it into small dice. Place it in a small saucepan with the water. Bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook until tender but not mushy. Set aside.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a soup pot or Dutch oven. Add the onion and salt, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring. After about 5 minutes, add celery and keep cooking. About 5 minutes later, add the cooked potatoes with all their liquid, the red bell pepper, corn, black pepper and herbs. Stir well and cover. Reduce heat and let it cook about 5 minutes more.

Use a blender or food processor to puree about half the solids in some of the soup's own liquid. Return this to the pot, and let it rest until serving time.

Stir in the soymilk about 10 minutes before serving. Heat the soup gently - don't cook it any further. Serve as soon as it's hot.

Enjoy! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment